Thursday, May 19, 2011



Can you tell me again about
the day the sun sank slower than
it did on other days?
The couch was sleeping more
strongly than you were and I
was surprised that anything so
still could snore so much.
I couldn't help but laugh at you
and everything else that was
orbiting the moment
The way the tomatoes
bought looked like sad
George Costanzas
The way mint ice cream doesn't
do anything for me.
You said the sun couldn't decide on
whether or not it wanted to go down
when it did. Maybe it wanted a final
glimpse of the water of the canal rising
or maybe it wanted to know if it could
sleep as well as you or even the couch so
it hesitated to stop for the day.

I thought it was strange when
you knew more of it than I
did. Maybe when things sleep
at the same time they start to
come together. There's no notion
of wanting to do anything different
from others since sleep is sleep and
just one word in the dictionary and
not a list of synonyms in a
thesaurus.
I think it would be best to
keep things this way. Maybe
the sun would rest
easy for a change.

3 comments:

  1. This is the same poem I used for my performance, but in a different light, so I guess it could be seen as a separate piece. This piece is connected with my conference paper which examines the presence of the inner voice. How is the inner voice influenced when there is a visual of the reading but no actual audio recording or voice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem's rhythm powerfully announces itself from the beginning. There is no doubt that a human voice is speaking. The poem absolutely delivers the clear human voice; the video hints at the vulnerability of the speaker. There is no sound in either. The poem speaks in the mind of the reader, just as compellingly as if in the ear. The eye takes in the video, almost dispassionately. There is no parallel in the video for the personal, urgent phrasing of the poem, touching images vast and domestic,precisely delineated and abstract, yet even in the video there probably is a sense of having heard a human voice, somehow amputated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video offers the traces of a voice, the context of a voice, a voice's frame, in a sense. The poem is the vehicle of a voice, the poem and our eyes, used for reading.

    ReplyDelete